From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: libpng16 won't be able to show some broken icons libpng15 was still able to
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:26:04
1 On 04/22/13 13:03, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > Since we probably will have to fix the files coming out of
5 > tarballs until the various upstreams have fixed them, I propose
6 > running a PNG fixer during or after the install phase. Since
7 > having pngcrush as dep for everything is not exactly lightweight,
8 > I hacked together a PNG file fixer in pure(ish, see below)
9 > Python:
10 No please, this real should stay really far from any package manager.
11 There are only two sane options:
12 1) fix libpng to be backward compatible
13 2) fix the package, and re-package / add a package for broken images
14
15 But please don't push on all our user systems something like this.
18 > http://git.schwarzvogel.de/?p=pngfixer;a=summary
19 >
20 > Feel free to send patches
21 >
22 > Note that all I wrote is the mind-numbingly simple pngfixer.py
23 > script. The rest of the Python code is excised from PIL
24 > (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm). I didn't have
25 > to change anything there.
26 >
27 > Also note that it is not _strictly_ pure Python I'm using: the
28 > PIL components use Python's zlib.so and therefore are subject to
29 > bugs in _that_ code.
30
31 Thanks for taking the time to write this it could be useful for
32 developers, but hopefully not as initially intended ;-)
35 > Still needed:
36 >
37 > - How do we ship this?
38 > - How do we run it for every ebuild? (probably something like
39 > find /var/tmp/portage/.../image/ -iname \*.png -exec {...}\;)
40 >
41 > Regards,
42 > Tobias
43 Regards,