From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new category: games-adventure/
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 17:26:37
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Just what do wumpus (talk about a blast from the past), a game "in the
3 > spirit of nethack," and a Leisure Suit Larry spinoff have in common?
4
5 I'd say it's that they focus on exploration.
8 > I imagine most games have some kind of adventure sense to them.
9
10 Puzzles and 52-card games maybe not so much, but I think a good
11 metric is how much the gameplay focuses on the adventure/exploration
12 compared to other elements.
13
14 But - deciding whether a game is an adventure game or not is
15 fortunately nothing that Gentoo needs to concern itself with,
16 this is already done by the publisher, and I think that everybody
17 interested in a game (dunno if Diego is one?) already knows what
18 category they consider it to belong to. Gentoo should where possible
19 not introduce elements of surprise, but simply model categories
20 according to how the world *already* organizes them.
21
22 I don't think anyone can dispute that there exists a genre called
23 adventure games..
24
25 (Much like there exists a software genre called X11 window managers..)
28 //Peter