From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:23:17
1 Dnia 2015-09-14, o godz. 00:19:38
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:13:30 +0100 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 00:07:26 +0300
6 > > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:21:02 +0200 hasufell wrote:
8 > > > > On 09/13/2015 07:56 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
9 > > > > > Gentoo workflow should not depend on a proprietary tools like
10 > > > > > github issue tracker and github pull requests.
11 > > > >
12 > > > > It doesn't. That's what this thread is about, so people who refuse
13 > > > > to collaborate on github PRs can still collaborate on bugzilla.
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Also, in case you don't know, the github issue tracker is
16 > > > > _deactivated_.
17 > > >
18 > > > I'm aware of that, but from this thread I see that some people are
19 > > > trying to activate it. I hope this will never happen.
20 > >
21 > > But Gentoo is about choice!
22 >
23 > Yes, but as long as choice of core components and infrastructure is
24 > free one. Read Gentoo Social Contract:
25 >
26 > https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html
27 >
28 > "However, Gentoo will never depend upon a piece of software or
29 > metadata unless it conforms to the GNU General Public License, the
30 > GNU Lesser General Public License, the Creative Commons -
31 > Attribution/Share Alike or some other license approved by the Open
32 > Source Initiative (OSI)."
33 >
34 > What actually happens now is that several individual are trying to
35 > undermine this concept and to tie Gentoo to the proprietary
36 > metadata. And some point this dependence will become irreversible.
37
38 I don't know if you didn't read the proposal, or if you are unable to
39 understand it. You are seriously *offending* me and the few other
40 developers who are trying *really hard*.
41
42 So let me make this clear: I am trying to make it possible for the
43 community to contribute in any way it finds *convenient* while not
44 forcing anyone to use any external (proprietary or non-proprietary)
45 platform.
46
47 If you want to know my personal opinion: I hate GitHub. But I don't let
48 my personal feelings harm the community which is willing to contribute
49 in this particular way. I believe we should be thankful to people who
50 would like to help making Gentoo better, not reject their work because
51 it uses a platform I don't like.
52
53 > It is a pain for me to see that several developers under disguise of
54 > "community" and "integration" are trying hard to make that happen,
55 > step by step.
56
57 And it is a pain for us to read such unfounded accusations. This is
58 incorrect, and very offensive. If this is really your belief, please
59 keep it to yourself. By writing this you are only causing unnecessary
60 anger and frustration which are not helping anyone.
63 Best regards,
64 Michał Górny
65 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>