From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flag transition: tetex and latex
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:41:04
1 Hi,
2
3 > What are we going to do with the global tetex USE flag?
4 > app-text/tetex is deprecated in favour of TeXLive which is still hard
5 > masked but will be the default TeX distribution in the future.
6 > Rename it to tex as TeXLive is based on teTeX? And what about
7 > USE=latex? Use a generic tex for it, too?
10 I had been thinking about it and am not sure what would be the best
11 option:
12 Some packages use the tetex useflag to enable some latex support, in
13 which case a latex useflag should be fine. (e.g. doxygen is the first
14 one I found that seems to be in that case)
15 Some others use it to enable kpathsea support, where tetex is the
16 historical distribution that provides it for us. From quickly digging
17 into lcdf-typetools code for ex., it seems it is used there to locate
18 files and update the kpathsea files so that other apps using kpathsea
19 will see the changes it has made. That way it integrates with a
20 tetex-alike distribution. So, imho, in that case a kpathsea useflag
21 would make more sense; but I doubt such a useflag name will speak by
22 itself.
23
24 Alexis.