From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag transition: tetex and latex
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:16:10
1 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>:
2
3 > > What are we going to do with the global tetex USE flag?
4 > > app-text/tetex is deprecated in favour of TeXLive which is still
5 > > hard masked but will be the default TeX distribution in the future.
6 > > Rename it to tex as TeXLive is based on teTeX? And what about
7 > > USE=latex? Use a generic tex for it, too?
8 > I had been thinking about it and am not sure what would be the best
9 > option:
10
11 After some more calm minutes thinking about it:
12
13 > Some packages use the tetex useflag to enable some latex support, in
14 > which case a latex useflag should be fine. (e.g. doxygen is the first
15 > one I found that seems to be in that case)
16
17 Agree.
18
19 > Some others use it to enable kpathsea support, where tetex is the
20 > historical distribution that provides it for us. From quickly digging
21 > into lcdf-typetools code for ex., it seems it is used there to locate
22 > files and update the kpathsea files so that other apps using kpathsea
23 > will see the changes it has made. That way it integrates with a
24 > tetex-alike distribution. So, imho, in that case a kpathsea useflag
25 > would make more sense; but I doubt such a useflag name will speak by
26 > itself.
27
28 Yes, we should introduce tex, latex and kpathsea USE flags. Anyone?
29
30 V-Li
33 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
34 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
35
36 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>