From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag transition: tetex and latex
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:45:15
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, 06 Nov 2007, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
4 > > tetex-alike distribution. So, imho, in that case a kpathsea useflag
5 > > would make more sense; but I doubt such a useflag name will speak by
6 > > itself.
7 >
8 > Yes, we should introduce tex, latex and kpathsea USE flags. Anyone?
9
10 As long as the description of the USE flag (such as by euse -i)
11 is usefule (and *not* the equally omnipresentand useless "foo -
12 enables foo support"), I see no trouble in using it.
13
14 In this case I'd go for:
15 kpathsea - Enable (La)TeX integration.
16
17 I do understand that sometimes a given USE flags description
18 can't be unified. USE="foo" might enable very different things in
19 different packages. But then, global USE flags are the only once
20 where this is a concern.
21
22 For example, take mplayer's (local) USE flag "vidix". euse -i isn't
23 exactly helpful: "Support for vidix video output"
24
25 IMHO, it'd better be "Support X11 DGA video output using the
26 vidix interface"
27
28 One might argue that I should know the stuff I want but what if
29 I'd want the support for foo if I only knew about it?
30
31 Also, my (arguably not very good) example illustrates how extra
32 keywords might help the user find out what exactly vidix is using
33 Google.
34
35 Regards,
36 Tobias
37
38 PS: Yes, I've read the recend mp3/mp3{de,en}code discussuion,
39 same problem, actually.
40 --
41 In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes.
42 --
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list