From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI spec (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:01:12
1 On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:47:04 +0100 "Denis Dupeyron"
2 <calchan@g.o> wrote:
3 | On 2/20/07, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
4 | > This is standard practice for professional standards, and is the
5 |
6 | Now you talk about this, a standard is, in standard practice, the
7 | result of a collaborative effort of representing members of the
8 | organization(s) that is (are) supposed to adhere to said standard. I
9 | believe I don't need then to explain you how far what happens around
10 | PMS is from standard practice.
11
12 You know that real standards aren't a free for all, right? They're
13 usually written by a small group, and then commented on by interested
14 parties when they're already well into being written. Which is exactly
15 what we're doing...
16
17 | You say you want to avoid endless discussions "in the interest of
18 | getting it finished". Now, if your work is that good, why would there
19 | be any discussions about it?
20
21 Because there are a lot of people with opinions out there, and they
22 will all start saying things like "well it would be better if things
23 were like $blah, so you should change it to say $blah". Have a look at
24 the amount of noise that comes up any time this kind of discussion
25 takes place on this list...
26
27 Heck, have a look at the number of people already trying to comment
28 upon how the standard is being written without having seen it...
29
30 | If it's not good enough, why wouldn't you let us talk about it and
31 | make it better?
32
33 We will let you (for values of you where your opinion is useful and
34 relevant) discuss it when it is at an appropriate stage.
35
36 | Also, if it goes in the wrong direction, one that
37 | Gentoo devs won't follow, what's the point in finishing it?
38
39 It isn't going in the wrong direction. The third parties who have
40 access to it will tell you that.
43 Ciaran McCreesh
44 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
45 Web : http://ciaranm.org/