From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 19:24:17
1 On Thursday 14 May 2009 21:20:18 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 14 May 2009 13:17:24 -0600
3 >
4 > RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 13:11, Ciaran McCreesh
6 > >
7 > > <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > Please explain why you claimed GLEP 55 makes things slower. Until
9 > > > you answer that, it's hard to take you for anything other than a
10 > > > troll.
11 > >
12 > > Hell, I'll explain. Read paragraph 8 again. Slowly. Read it a
13 > > second time, since you obviously didn't read the first time. The
14 > > paragraph makes the point that the pro-GLEP55 stance says that
15 > > encoding EAPI inside the file is slower. It is not saying GLEP55 is
16 > > slower, it is attempting to debunk the theory that it is faster.
17 >
18 > "so with glep55 caching it is actually slower!"
19 >
20 > There's no possible way that can make sense. Whatever he's claiming by
21 > that is obviously nonsense.
24 Ah. I was not precise enough.
25
26 Let me rephrase it in less ambiguous terms then -
29 "Having EAPI in the ebuild is slower than having it encoded in the filename"
30
31 Counterpoint: No, you use caching if it is that darn slow
32 Bonus: GLEP55 makes caching that slower than accessing it directly
33 Extra bonus: about a dozen emails going around in circles over a careless
34 formulation that gets misinterpreted into "The iraqis have weapons of mass
35 destruction!"