From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 07:53:08
1 Daniel Drake napsal(a):
2 > I have suggested that herd support for the kernelspace side
3 > (alsa-driver) be slowly reduced, by redirecting users who file bugs
4 > against it to reproduce with the in-kernel drivers, and then let kernel
5 > handle the bug resolution. This will remove duplicated maintenance efforts.
6 >
7 > This will also mean no more stabling of -rc releases (and probably fewer
8 > of those in portage at all).
9 >
10 > alsa-driver won't be going away altogether, as it is still needed for
11 > 2.4 users (but we won't support them forever) and I think it may include
12 > a couple of drivers which aren't yet in the kernel tree.
13
14 Uhm... Sorry to see this issue brought up yet again. Just a couple of
15 brief notes:
16
17 - The in-kernel drivers seriously are not an equivalent alternative, let
18 alone the preferred one, for stuff like hda-intel or any similar drivers
19 that are under permanent heavy development, at least for now.
20
21 - This is not a duplicated maintenance effort, it's simply needed to
22 have external alsa-drivers ebuilds, and it's needed to have them
23 supported as ALSA upstream won't accept bugs about in-kernel drivers.
24
25 - The two are basically different branches, and it's *not* about whether
26 the code is newer or older in one or the other at all.
30 Best regards,
31
32 Jakub Moc
33 mailto:jakub@g.o
34 GPG signature:
35 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
36 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
37
38 ... still no signature ;)