From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Cal Evans <cal@××××××××.com>, Max Kalika <max@g.o>
Cc: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Web Application Installation
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 01:56:31
1 Hi Cal!
2
3 On Wednesday 06 August 2003 12:43 am, Cal Evans wrote:
4 > Max & Stuart,
5 >
6 > Personally, As someone who runs both types of servers, I would prefer a
7 > separate behavior.
8 >
9 > My server here at the house hosts 1 domain and I like the default way
10 > gentoo handles that. It's easy for me to test things out etc. But on my
11 > production servers, I like the idea of being able to set +vhosts and have
12 > it work as described.
13
14 Yeah. I think we can make -vhosts be the equivalent of what we have today,
15 and +vhosts do the whole virtual server thing. I'm willing to code it up and
16 trial it, to see how well it works in practice.
17
18 Which leads me onto another TonyTangent(tm). Once we have something
19 implemented, I don't think it should go into Portage straight away. I think
20 we should recruit a small team of knowledgable testers, and roll it out to
21 them first for a whole cycle or two of release/test/scratch head/try again.
22 It'll take a bit longer, sure, but it'll mean that what goes into Portage and
23 into general use will already be bedded in.
24
25 Btw, talked to Woodchip on IRC tonight, and he seemed happy enough with us
26 moving the default -vhosts DocRoot from /home/httpd. So I'm gonna strongly
27 advocate that the default -vhosts DocRoot moves to
28 /var/www/localhost/public_html in the near future.
29
30 > Just chiming in on a very interesting thread.
31
32 Glad you have. The more feedback we can get, the better the final solution
33 will be. I'd hate us to implement something that we devs found acceptable,
34 but no-one else wanted to use ;-)
35
36 Best regards,
37 Stu
38 --
39 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
40 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
41 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
42
43 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
44 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C