From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS (Was: RFC: Should preserve-libs be enabled by default?)
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 02:08:16
1 On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, 30 May 2008 18:43:56 -0700
4 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> So... folks have pointed out a benefit to using --as-needed.
6 >
7 > But they haven't. They've pointed out a flaw in libtool that is sort of
8 > worked around sometimes at the expense of breaking things by using
9 > as-needed. The correct solution is to fix libtool, but that's evidently
10 > beyond the abilities of people who're only interested in increasing
11 > their epenis size by throwing more silly options in config files.
12
13 This is incredible. I have never seen a more logic-lacking and
14 flamebait reply to a post full of reason and logic.
15
16 1) You say the benefits haven't been pointed out, while several posts
17 have already done so. You seem to be the only one pretending to be
18 unaware of them.
19 2) The "expense of breaking things" is completely unqualified in your
20 post. Here's some context: "expense" is minimal since the problem is
21 easily fixable, and "breaking things" is the list of bugs on the
22 tracker bug -- 19 with most of them already having patches that just
23 need to be committed
24 3) You say fixing libtool is the correct solution but you don't say
25 why or explain how. You don't give any information at all, and due to
26 the non-existant evidence, I am going to take the statement with a
27 fist of salt.
28 4) epenis size? Really.
29
30 You grabbed one line in his entire post and used it to divert the
31 conversation's direction from constructive to time-wasting-argument.
32
33 Personally, I agree wholeheartedly with what Brian has said. There are
34 advantages (they've have already been stated earlier), and they far
35 outweigh the disadvantages (breakages are easily fixable afaict).
38 ~Nirbheek Chauhan who awaits the reply by ciaranm quoting one sentence
39 from his post and flaming/trolling him
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list