From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
Cc: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Weekly News Letter - "Where is Gentoo Linux 1.4"
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:05:50
1 On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:22:11AM +0200, Philippe Lafoucrière wrote:
2 > I was reading the new newsletter, especially the part : "Releases do not
3 > matter in Gentoo Linux.".If releases really doesn't matter, why 1.4
4 > isn't out ? I DO know you can use a 1.4RC1/2/3/4 live cd have an up to
5 > date system with emerge -u, but newbies don't.
6 >
7 > This is a really bad idea to add more and more features to live cds
8 > without release. People that have never tried gentoo would think this is
9 > a permanent BETA, which is not. Gentoo is really mature and stable now.
10 >
11 > Maybe we'll need a Gentoo Project Leader, as Debian did. If there's
12 > already one, he has to communicate much more ! Gentoo really needs some
13 > serious management, and especially a ROADMAP. Gentoo users are walking
14 > in fog now...
17 There are two versions: release versions and profile versions.
18
19 Release versions _only apply to install media_.
20
21 Profile versions (such as default-x86-1.4) define the characteristics of
22 your installed system.
23
24 1.4 isn't out because it's not ready. Frankly, I can cook you up a
25 half-baked LiveCD and set of stages with absolutely no value over rc4
26 right now, if you're that obsessed with having something out there with
27 '1.4' on it. Instead, we're trying to get you, the user, things like
28 GRP, an enhanced LiveCD, automatic CFLAGS generation and kernel initrd
29 creation, and so on.
30
31 Futurely we will probably be removing 'rc' from the version number
32 because it suggests 'beta' to people, which is not the case. We will
33 probably move to a system like 1.5, 1.5.1, 1.5.2...
34
35 I am not sure what you mean by 'project leader' - do you think that
36 currently there is nobody in charge at all? Perhaps you can elaborate
37 here. (Daniel Robbins is effectively our 'project leader' - I am the
38 releases coordinator.)
39
40 What kinds of communication are you looking for? When anyone has asked,
41 I have been happy to tell them what's going on with releases. With
42 regards to a roadmap, what kind of roadmap? For what in particular?
43 Portage? Releases?
44
45 Looking for constructive suggestions,
48 Jon Portnoy
49 avenj/irc.freenode.net
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list