From: Meir Kriheli <mksoft@×××××××××××××.il>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Binary packages and i18n
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 06:47:44
1 On Saturday 18 May 2002 14:27, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2 > On Saturday 18 May 2002 12:35, Meir Kriheli wrote:
3 > > 1. I need to distribute precompiled binaries, can this be accomplished
4 > > (via tbz2 ?)
5 >
6 > Use --buildpkg which builds a binary package and use --usepkg when merging
7 > to use that package (they are put into /usr/portage/packages/All)
8
9 I need to enable the users to download the pre-built pacakges. If I emerge
10 rsync will those packages be downloaded, or should I write special script for
11 that ?
12
13 > > 2. Can ebuilds be described in more than 1 language ? If not, how to
14 > > accomplish this (at least 2 languages, more preffered)?
15 >
16 > The description is just one var in the ebuild. But how about implementing
17 > all that i18n in portage (or portage2) in gentoo so we can all benefit ?
18 >
19 > Alex
20
21 I'd be glad to do that. What's the status on portage 2 arrival ?
22
23 The developers guide at gentoo.org says the description is one line describing
24 the package.
25
26 I'm looking into something more detailed (even the sub-folders). That way I
27 can have users browsing the portage tree in their native language.
28
29 So if
30 app-cdr
31 |--cdrtools - ... the description
32 |--cdbakeoven - .. the description
33 app-games
34 |--chromium - ....
35 |--gltron - ....
36
37 will have the groups and the descriptions show up in their native language. I
38 thought taking XML-UNICODE approach.
39
40 Another approach could be using a single file under each ebuild holding the
41 language descriptions in a simple shell var, e.g: EN="blabla" HU="bloobloo"
42 etc... with default fallback to the English description in the ebuild.
43
44 Can I store an XML tree inside the ebuild's decription, or this would be an
45 overkill ?
46
47 Or can the files dir under the ebuilds be a good candidate for this ?
48 --
49 Meir Kriheli