From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 05:11:27
1 Dnia 2015-09-17, o godz. 17:19:17
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > Replying somewhere randomly with an idea.
5 >
6 > Since projects are now on the wiki, why don't we use that as the
7 > canonical source of project members? It's machine readable, although not
8 > so nice to have it located outside the repo/ldap.
9
10 How about... because:
11
12 1. You can't list developers who are not subscribed on the wiki. I've
13 asked for some solution multiple times, and so far people are just
14 INVALID-ating the bugs and pointing fingers. Of course, it could be
15 partially related to the fact that we still don't have any SSO for
16 Gentoo services, and have to ask people to sign up manually everywhere.
17
18 2. You can't list plain users (proxied maintainers) who work
19 in the team. And yes, I know GLEP doesn't say they could. But sure,
20 let's ignore reality and trust in the GLEP written back when people
21 still believed Gentoo is an elite community worth joining.
22
23 3. To be honest, Wiki is terribly slow and inconvenient. I'd rather see
24 this data in git rather than in some private database, and editable
25 without having to resort to web browser or fancy APIs.
26
27 4. Sure you could say it's machine-readable. But nobody so far
28 volunteered to work with that machine-readable data.
29
30 5. It's better to design a format for data, and teach tools to use it.
31 Not the other way around -- teaching all the tools the specific SMW
32 API, and having to update everything if that changes or we change
33 software.
34
35 > The email alias would then be auto-generated from the project members.
36 > This has a nice side effect: regular users can already modify their own
37 > accounts on the wiki. It should be possible to give users the ability to
38 > "follow" a project. The alias generation would then include all
39 > "following" users.
40
41 Did you just volunteer to write the code?
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny
46 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>