From: Rigo <rigo@××××.nl>
To: Jonathan Kelly <j0n@×××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding package mask
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 07:16:41
1 Op zo 18-08-2002, om 08:57 schreef Jonathan Kelly:
2 > On 18 Aug 2002 16:31:21 +1000
3 > Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sun, 2002-08-18 at 14:04, Jonathan Kelly wrote:
6 > > > I beg to differ ... I did this with media-gfx/povray and after every
7 > > > "emerge sync" I get ....
8 > > > # emerge -pu povray
9 > >
10 > > My apologies, I thought that the local ebuilds were NOT checked against
11 > > packages.mask.
12 > >
13 > > I've just tried the same thing as you, with the same results.
14 > >
15 > > It would make sense (to me anyway) if the local ebuilds in
16 > > $PORTDIR_OVERLAY were *NOT* checked against packages.mask, that way us
17 > > end users could assist the developers by simply dropping masked ebuilds
18 > > into our local tree and then testing them. Sure it means that there is
19 > > duplication and some extra hard drive space taken up, but ebuilds aren't
20 > > that big. Also for those wishing to test ebuilds it would be a
21 > > conscious decision to place a masked ebuild in your local tree.
22 >
23 > I think that is a logical and great idea.
24
25 Wouldn't it also be nice if settings in
26 $PORTDIR_OVERLAY/profiles/package.mask overrule settings in
27 $PORTDIR/profiles/package.mask ? This way directories could stay in
28 $PORTDIR and you don't have to keep worrying about changin' package.mask
29 time & time again.
30
31 Ex:
32
33 lappy # diff /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask
34 /root/package.mask.2|grep povray
35
36 < #=media-gfx/povray-3.50a
37 > =media-gfx/povray-3.50a