From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:48:45
1 > *ALL* of the official docs are GuideXML; Gentoo *expects* users to have
2 > a web browser by default. Otherwise a vast majority of users would never
3 > get Gentoo installed in the first place. The "lightweight" requirement
4 > appears to just be your way of subverting the current documentation
5 > standards (because of your XML hatred).
6
7 How about getting some facts straight before running your mouth? Gentoo
8 most certainly does not expect users to have a web browser to install.
9 The last time I actually installed on x86 (which was some time ago
10 admittedly), there was a .txt version of the install guide on the livecd.
11
12 Even then, the web browser you are speaking of runs directly off the
13 livecd. So, what happens when there is critical news to be read during
14 the install phase inside the chroot, but no web browser is yet
15 installed? Are you suggesting we bloat stage1 and stage2 with some sort
16 of XML parser so that the user can read news without having to kill the
17 emerge and read the news outside the chroot? I think you would have a
18 seriously hard time convincing the release folks this is a good idea.
19
20 Furthermore, it is not possible to include any sort of XML parser with
21 installers for certain arches which use very minimal netboots for the
22 default installation method. So really, your complaints about the
23 "lightweight" requirement appears to just be a way of subverting
24 attention away from the real reasons it is a good idea, and towards
25 maintaining a flamewar with ciaran that you will surely lose.
26
27 -Steve
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list