From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:19:03
1 On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:51:39AM -0500 or thereabouts, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > This is what I don't get. So what if Gentoo is an amoeba? Does it
3 > really matter? Would you rather that we dropped Gentoo/ALT, Hardened,
4 > Embedded, and anything else interesting just so we can focus on a "core
5 > technology" of some sort? Remember that we are not out to make money.
6 > We are a not-for-profit for a reason. We don't have to answer to
7 > investors and shareholders.
8
9 Gentoo will cease to be relevant if we continue as-is. Maybe not tomorrow
10 or next month, but within a couple of years, we'll be Just Another
11 Slackware. Personally, I don't want that. If other folks do, then that's
12 OK.
13
14 > I welcome you to fork Gentoo to do this. I'll be glad to assist you in
15 > any way that I can without giving up my ideas for where I want to take
16 > my projects within Gentoo. I respect that you should do the same,
17 > rather than hijack the distribution as a whole for your own purposes.
18
19 "my own purposes" are simply that Gentoo remains relevant. I think it has
20 some great ideas and a great core technology. I'd hate to see for all that
21 to be relegated to some hobbyist distro that people tinker around on but
22 nobody takes seriously.
23
24 Maybe you have a different vision for Gentoo. If so, I respect that, but
25 please don't accuse me of trying to hijack anything. I expressed an
26 opinion and you took my words and twisted them against me. This is a
27 perfect example of why Gentoo's never going to go anywhere. We fight too
28 much amongst ourselves.
29
30 --kurt