From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild bumping policy wrt KEYWORDS
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:07:05
1 On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:51:43 +0200 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | >>Ebuilds should only be stabilized, i.e. placed from "~arch" into
4 | >"arch" when
5 | the maintainer, or an architecture maintainer deems the ebuild to be
6 | stable.
7 |
8 | From a package maintainer perspective, I'm not fine with it. Imho an
9 | arch should simply not go stable, before the package maintainer marks
10 | his arch stable. I cannot care for arch maintainers - and their users
11 | - if they run into problems, e.g. due to dependency changes while I do
12 | not consider the ebuild stable. If the arch maintainer thinks, he
13 | knows a package better than me and cannot even ask before doing so -
14 | o.k., not my problem. We had the discussion a while back...
15
16 Personally I prefer my original wording:
17
18 > Arch teams: when moving from ~arch to arch on an actively maintained
19 > package where you're going ahead of the maintainer's arch, it's best
20 > to consult first. You don't necessarily have to follow the
21 > maintainer's advice, but at least listen to what they have to say.
24 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
25 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
26 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm