From: James McMechan <james_mcmechan@×××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dropping ia64/ppc/sparc profiles to dev/exp
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 16:56:38
1 > > > The easiest solution is for the arch team to remove keywords until they
2 > > > have a reasonable response time again. And if the arch team doesn't do
3 > > > that by itself, well, ...
4 > > >
5 > > > Having one-man teams block everybody else hurts Gentoo as a whole.
6 > >
7 > > We have appropriate hardware if people wanna do the work, jut go & make
8 > > things better :), I do not think someone from existing arch teams has
9 > > something against that
10 >
11 > I'm sorry, but I can think of about a dozen things where my Gentoo time is
12 > spent in a more useful way.
13 >
14 > (With useful being not so much defined with what I personally find fun, but with
15 > what brings Gentoo and its userbase forward.)
16 >
17 > Prove to me that more than 10 persons are interested in Gentoo on any of sh,
18 > s390, m68k, ia64, sparc.
19
20 well I currently have Gentoo up on
21 bunch of arm v5,v6,v7
22 1 arm64
23 5 mips
24 1 mips64
25 2 ppc
26 1 ppc64
27 2 sparc (64bit)
28 bunch of x86
29 bunch of amd64
30 and am still playing with
31 1 sh3
32
33 So how many do I count as 1,2,3-12? ;)
34
35 Silly Notes:
36 While I personally considered IA64 useless shortly after arrival, Intel has just (5/11/17) announced another bump in that family the 9700 Series.
37
38 SPARC hardware is stilling being sold by both Fujistu and Oracle, e.g. the M12 series released in April,
39 but it is mostly sold to those already invested in it.
40 Looking I also saw updates in January for the SPARC32:LEON4 processor
41 The OpenSPARC.net SPARC64:T1 & T2 seem less active, may just be my lack of google-fu
42
43 PowerPC is still running along, mostly embedded for the 32bit version, and IBM still likes to sell big iron with 64bit Power processors.
44
45 SuperH is even having a tiny bit of a renaissance, what with the J-core.org people building a VHDL open source version for FPGA/ASIC
48 Please note: that I am not objecting to having arch keywords on only the base @system packages for the minor archs, hopefully it will save a small mountain of effort.
49
50 Would it be worthwhile to have an other/minor/general keyword shared among the arches?
51 e.g. have keywords always try their arch keyword first and if it is not present look for other/minor/general keyword?
52 sort of like */~*/-* except if your arch is mentioned use that instead.
53 It could make things easier many packages /should/ not care about which arch it is exactly.
54 I could see it as trying a stable request: 3 arches send yes and dead silence from everybody else...
55 So after a reasonable time mark the 3 that replied and let everyone who did not follow the general keyword until they reply.
56
57 My current interpretation:
58
59 amd64 recent desktops/laptops
60 x86 most older desktops/laptops
61 arm most cellphones/tablets
62 arm64 upcoming cellphones/tablets e.g. raspberry pi3. not yet common running 64bit.
63 mips gobs of routers & embedded systems.
64 everything else niche markets <- Hi, I fit in here a lot.
65
66 Jim McMechan