From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: isodate for packages.mask starting on 2019-07-01
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:11:42
1 On Sat, 2019-06-29 at 13:23 +0200, Jonas Stein wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 >
4 > Situation:
5 > We have different date formats in packages.mask.
8 > Change:
9 > I suggest that we start using the date format yyyy-mm-dd
10 > for all dates in packages.mask
11 > starting with 2019-07-01
12 >
13 > The following changes in packages.mask will introduce the date format,
14 > specify the timezone, and use Larry as example user.
15 >
16 > 3,6c3,6
17 > < # When you add an entry to the top of this file, add your name, the
18 > date, and
19 > < # an explanation of why something is getting masked. Please be extremely
20 > < # careful not to commit atoms that are not valid, as it can cause
21 > large-scale
22 > < # breakage, especially if it ends up in the daily snapshot.
23 > ---
24 > > # When you add an entry to the top of this file, add your name, the date
25 > > # in the UTC timezone, and an explanation of why something is getting
26 > masked.
27 > > # Please be extremely careful not to commit atoms that are not valid,
28 > as it can
29 > > # cause large-scale breakage, especially if it ends up in the daily
30 > snapshot.
31 > 10c10
32 > < ## # Dev E. Loper <developer@g.o> (28 Jun 2012)
33 > ---
34 > > ## # Larry the cow <larry@g.o> (2019-07-01)
35 > 24,26c24,26
36 > < ## # Dev E. Loper <developer@g.o> (23 May 2015)
37 > < ## # Masked for removal in 30 days. Doesn't work
38 > < ## # with new libfoo. Upstream dead, gtk-1, smells
39 > ---
40 > > ## # Larry the cow <larry@g.o> (2019-07-01)
41 > > ## # Masked for removal after 2019-08-01.
42 > > ## # Doesn't work with new libfoo. Upstream dead, gtk-1, smells
43 >
44 > Reason:
45 > * Larry is the Gentoo Example
46
47 This is not a problem at the moment but I suppose we might have a future
48 developer called 'larry'. It would be silly to block someone from using
49 that nickname. OTOH, 'developer' is rather clearly a replace-me. You
50 could also use example@.
51
52 > * 2019-01-01 + 30 days is unclear, if we do not use UTC time
53
54 I don't see how '30 days' vs absolute date makes any difference
55 regarding 'UTC time'. Sure, some people take it as literal 30 days,
56 some take it as 'month + 1' but that's not a major problem.
57
58 That said, I agree with the change, just not with the justification.
59
60 > * The new date format is easy to read and write and easy to parse
61 > internationally.
62
63 Sure, ISO 8601 for dates is good.
66 > Do you have any objections?
69 > By the way, you can get a formatted string of now in UTC with:
70 > date -u +"%Y-%m-%d"
74 Best regards,
75 Michał Górny