From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:19:33
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:28:09 -0800 Donnie Berkholz
3 > <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4 > | Yes, for all 3 people who have a clue what it means when virtual/x11
5 > | gets pulled in. How many users do you seriously think will have a clue
6 > | and think "Oh, virtual/x11 is getting pulled in here. I must have a
7 > | package that isn't ported to modular X somewhere in this list. Let me
8 > | track it down and file a bug."?
9 >
10 > When users suddenly see lots of extra X packages being pulled in that
11 > they don't need, it'll be rather obvious (and trivial to track down
12 > with --tree). Especially if it's documented somewhere that "packages
13 > that suddenly pull in lots of extra X packages usually means porting
14 > needed".
15
16 Where do they define "lots"? Many packages will legitimately pull in a
17 large quantity of libs or apps that are not installed by someone
18 emerging xorg-server, e.g.
19
20 > | > * The clean solution is the solution originally proposed to this
21 > | > list, and the reason we are using new style virtuals.
22 > |
23 > | No, this is wrong. The reason we are using new style virtuals is so we
24 > | could have a versioning in what provides virtual/x11. Namely, 6.8 or
25 > | older.
26 >
27 > Uh, given that you can do that with old style virtuals, methinks that
28 > isn't the case...
29
30 Really? It's certainly not made clear. Has the ability existed for long?
31 I can only find a single example of it in the virtuals files, which was
32 added last summer. I don't make a habit of browsing through profiles
33 every few months to see whether some new undocumented feature has appeared.
34
35 There are no existing examples anywhere in the documentation I've seen,
36 and only a vague hint that virtuals could be any DEPEND atom. Given that
37 virtual dependencies couldn't work properly with versions, it was a
38 carryover that virtuals could also not be provided by versioned things.
39
40 I guarantee you that adding all of modular X to the virtual/x11 will
41 make this drag out for years, and THAT is unacceptable to me.
42
43 Thanks,
44 Donnie