From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:17:34
1 On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:03:46 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > After 2+ years of repeating disagreements with Portage maintainer(s)
5 > I have finally decided to fork Portage. My little fork uses technical
6 > name of 'portage[mgorny]' [1] (to distinguish it from mainline Portage),
7 > and aims to focus on cleaning up code and adding useful features with
8 > less concern for infinite bug-by-bug compatibility.
9
10 I hope you will continue with our efforts to drive regular Portage
11 forwards too. It's been a long road but also very productive.
12
13 I notice that your fork cannot be installed at the same time as regular
14 Portage. I think this will really hinder any interest in it. As
15 Gentoo developers, we obviously have to make sure things work with the
16 official package manager and that goes for you too. Would it be
17 possible for them to coexist? I'm not saying I'll try it though, just
18 making a suggestion. :)
21 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
22 Gentoo Linux Developer