From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Auto adding packages to world was -> Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:20:11
1 On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 16:40:11 +1000
2 "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > If my concern in removing a package was whether it was a dependency,
5 > it would make more sense to use --depclean in the first place. If I'm
6 > using --unmerge, it's because I want the package unmerged regardless.
7
8 But you can't remember what you installed or ate for dinner. What if you
9 are removing something you need?
10
11 > > Didn't you just say something about meaningful output vs noise?
12 > > That is always outputted and ends up becoming what you are saying.
13 > > Funny!
14 > >
15 > And your suggesting adding more noise to it... Funny, I know.
16
17 No a warning that mentions the package not being removed is not noise.
18 It is useful output, like the warnings that exist for other things now.
19
20 I guess in your opinion this warning is noise to you.
21
22 !!! 'sys-devel/gcc' is part of your system profile.
23 !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
24
25 It is YOUR comments that are funny, and going in a circular argument
26 just to be argumentative and bringing nothing useful to the discussion.
27 Which should be over now that bugs are filed....
28
29 > > Depclean the user is cleaning things they are not aware of. Unmerge
30 > > the user is removing something directly. They may think they do not
31 > > need it.
32 >
33 > No.
34 >
35 > '--depclean' is the user removing things they are not aware of.
36
37 You literally just re-typed what I did above replacing cleaning with
38 removing. Are you paying any attention?
39
40 > '--depclean foo' is the user removing something they /are/ aware of
41 > *if it's not a dependency*.
42
43 That does not work the same. It will not remove a package from world.
44
45 > '--unmerge foo' is the user explicitly removing something regardless
46 > of whether it's a dependency.
47
48 BUT they are warned now for things that are in a profile or set. Thus
49 they should be warned if a dependency. Its simply, but clearly your
50 having a hard time grasping.
51
52 > Therefore, '--depclean foo' can be seen as a safe '--unmerge foo'
53 > which, from what I understand, is what you're aiming for.
54
55 No, as they are not the same. You cannot remember what you ate. Please
56 stop trying to assume what I am after. Clearly we are very different. I
57 know what I ate last night...
58
59 > That's what the current warning to --unmerge says - removing packages
60 > can break things, so please make sure this isn't a dependency and you
61 > really want to remove this.
62
63 They do not say anything about dependencies. It says the same message
64 for everything. In some cases for system and set packages you get a
65 warning.
66
67 > How does replacing one warning with another warning that may or may
68 > not be meaningful ("maybe it's a dep, maybe it isn't" as opposed to
69 > "this can be dangerous, please make sure you know what you're doing")
70 > make it any better?
71
72 It is not replacing a warning. It is adding the same warning that exist
73 in other situations in one it does not exists now, removing
74 dependencies.
75
76 Clearly you are having a hard time grasping this very simple concept.
77 I am done, reply if you like, but this thread is serious noise now...
80 William L. Thomson Jr.