From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Happy 10th birthday (in advance)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:46:07
1 On 03/31/2012 01:06 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:52:53AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:44:03 +0300
4 >> Alex Alexander<alex.alexander@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> @preserved-libs works very well and is awesome. hack or not. IMO it
6 >>> should be in stable already. I've been using it on stable production
7 >>> boxes for years without any issues :)
8 >>
9 >> ...and here we see the problem. You think that "I haven't noticed it
10 >> break" means "it works".
11 >>
12 >> The problem with preserved-libs (and emerge --jobs, for that matter) is
13 >> that the design is "I can think of a few ways where it might break, so
14 >> I'll hard-code in special cases to handle those, but in general I
15 >> can't think of what other problems there are so it's fine". That's a
16 >> bad way of doing things.
17 >
18 > Then don't use it. Reality is, gentoo does.
19 >
20 > If you don't like that fact, I suggest you stick to exherbo.
21 >
22 > Related, why the hell are you still even around here?
23 >
24 > You literally send more mail to our dev ml then to exherbos.
25 >
26 > I wouldn't care if it weren't the fact your gentoo dev posts
27 > generally consist of "xyz is stupid, as is the people behind it"
28 > whether it be portage, udev, council, etc, take your pick.
29 >
30 > ~harring (being rather tired of the broken record).
33 separate gentoo-dev@ and gentoo-dev-public@ MLs so we would have a place
34 where to discuss about improving Gentoo with people who also want to
35 improve it
36
37 (or hand me powers to remove people from ML :-)
38
39 - Samuli