From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Modular X (7.0) stable on x86
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:17:22
I've just spent the past few hours stabilizing modular X.Org 7.0 on x86.
This is a reminder of the migration guide [1] and a guide to other
arches on how to stabilize it. I have not stabilized most optional
packages, instead preferring to wait for any requests to see whether
demand exists for them.

I encourage other architectures to stabilize modular X. AMD64, you will
want to go with 7.0 because you also have binary drivers. All other
archs will want to go with 7.1. The modular X package list [2] will help
with this.

Follow my lead and stabilize the same things I did: all protos, all
libraries (start with libX11 and track its deps), then track your way
through the rest by running through any remaining deps of xorg-server.

If you are stabilizing:

7.0 -- easy, just touch all the same packages I did. For drivers,
there's usually a minor version bump to the version that is incompatible
with xorg-server-1.0, so make sure to stabilize the older driver.

7.1 -- follow the same process but always use the latest ebuild, with
the single exception of libX11 -- do not stabilize 1.0.3, but rather

In particular, do not forget the virtuals: glu, opengl, x11, xft.