From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Modular X (7.0) stable on x86
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:17:22
1 I've just spent the past few hours stabilizing modular X.Org 7.0 on x86.
2 This is a reminder of the migration guide [1] and a guide to other
3 arches on how to stabilize it. I have not stabilized most optional
4 packages, instead preferring to wait for any requests to see whether
5 demand exists for them.
6
7 I encourage other architectures to stabilize modular X. AMD64, you will
8 want to go with 7.0 because you also have binary drivers. All other
9 archs will want to go with 7.1. The modular X package list [2] will help
10 with this.
11
12 Follow my lead and stabilize the same things I did: all protos, all
13 libraries (start with libX11 and track its deps), then track your way
14 through the rest by running through any remaining deps of xorg-server.
15
16 If you are stabilizing:
17
18 7.0 -- easy, just touch all the same packages I did. For drivers,
19 there's usually a minor version bump to the version that is incompatible
20 with xorg-server-1.0, so make sure to stabilize the older driver.
21
22 7.1 -- follow the same process but always use the latest ebuild, with
23 the single exception of libX11 -- do not stabilize 1.0.3, but rather
24 1.0.1-r1.
25
26 In particular, do not forget the virtuals: glu, opengl, x11, xft.
27
28 Thanks,
29 Donnie
30