From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:54:36
1 Jason S wrote:
2 >
3 > Using your 'common sense' how does this fit into the
4 > 'clean language' policy? From my point of view if
5 > that package name is allowed then the policy is
6 > unenforcable.
7
8 This is one of the reasons why the English language is so complex. When I
9 make a statement referencing "brainfuck", I'm referencing the name of a
10 language, regardless of what words comprise the name. The usage of our
11 friendly, four-letter word in the name itself is not intended to be vulgar in
12 the same context as calling someone an "f'ing idiot" </self censorship>. In
13 this case, the latter is the violation that should be taken care of. The
14 former deserves a slight chuckle at best.
15
16 Users/devs in the channels should be judged not on what words are spoken, but
17 on how the words are spoken. It's the intent that matters most.
20 --Kumba
23 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small
24 hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere."
25 --Elrond
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list