From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, devmanual@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: devmanual moved to github
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 16:08:25
1 On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> wrote:
4 > This is the kind of policies that kill user contributions. I am very
5 > sad to witness this once again.
8 I have mixed feelings for this very reason. The concept of accepting
9 contributions on github is an EXCELLENT one. The problem is that it
10 is proprietary, which creates division, and could potentially create
11 problems down the road (no way to know - the sorts of things that can
12 happen anytime you depend on proprietary software).
13
14 > I will take care of the github mirroring myself. For those who will
15 > merge pull requests on github, please take extra care to resolve the
16 > merges properly.
19 So, first, THANK YOU!
20
21 Second, I think this really points to there being value for something
22 like Gerrit available on Gentoo, which might be the best of both
23 worlds. I've never used it myself but I'm tempted to install it just
24 to start messing with it personally. I'd be interested in whether
25 anybody is familiar with it and doesn't feel that it is an appropriate
26 tool for us to use. If the consensus is overwhelmingly positive then
27 it would be great to have it deployed on Gentoo infra. And yes, I
28 realize that this is easy to type, but hard work to implement. I see
29 dual-workflows like Github as an interim solution. Personally, I'm
30 not entirely opposed to even a Github-only solution as an interim if
31 we were actively working on something FOSS-based, however I realize
32 that not all might agree on that.
33
34 Rich