From: Peter Hyman <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:45:51
1 On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 17:50 +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2
3 > If bugs are not handled in a timely manner, it is because we're
4 > shorthanded. This is also the reason new ebuilds are often assigned to
5 > maintainer-wanted. We'd rather not add packages to portage if there is
6 > no developer to pick up maintenance for them. Remember that we are all
7 > investing our spare time to work on Gentoo, we're not getting paid.
8 > We'd rather focus on removing bugs from packages already in portage than
9 > on adding new packages.
10 >
11 > Also for some packages it is hard to find a maintainer because it is
12 > best if the maintainer is also an active user of the package. If a
13 > relatively small group of people uses a package, it's much harder to
14 > find a suitable maintainer.
15 >
16 > If you see an area that could use an extra developer working on it and
17 > you think you could be that developer, by all means apply for the
18 > position.
19 >
20 > Here are some links of interest:
21 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/staffing-needs/index.xml
22 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
23 >
24 > Regards,
25 > Maurice.
28 I am well aware of all this:
29
30 2.b. Helping out
31
32 Firstly; to be asked to become a developer you should either apply to an
33 opening, or just help out whether in the form of user support or filing
34 bug reports - we notice frequent contributors making contributions to
35 Gentoo and we attempt to reward them by giving them the chance to become
36 a Gentoo developer. Gentoo has many paths, and the Gentoo Developer
37 Relations Recruitment Team is always looking out not just for developers
38 - documentation writers and infrastructure maintainers are just as
39 important too for our distribution to run smoothly.
40
41 You should look out for openings for developers in the GWN, as well as
42 the /topic of #gentoo-bugs on irc.freenode.net - if you feel you could
43 fill in one of those positions, try to find a mentor who is willing to
44 sponsor you, or contact the Gentoo Recruiters who may be able to find a
45 mentor for you. Please do not file "New Developer" bugs on yourself
46 since this task is designated for the mentor and any such bugs will be
47 closed.
48 ---------------------
49
50 Certainly, I am others have fulfilled this. I have emailed the two
51 maintainers offering to assist. No response.
52
53 For some reason, rox does not show up as a staffing need. That should be
54 corrected.
55
56 I'm not going to bloat this thread. I am here to help, and I know at
57 least one other fellow who probably would be willing to help too. It's
58 easy, quick, and will make what users there are for rox happy.
59
60 As I noted, the intent here was not to add any additional work for
61 developers. On the contrary, the work is done already. We're already
62 "helping out" we're filing bug reports, we're creating ebuilds that
63 work. All that needs to be done is get them into portage.
64
65 If you are unable to find a suitable developer to maintain rox, then
66 please let me know and I will see about assembling a herd for it.
67 --
68 Peter
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list