From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Software patents
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:01:50
1 On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 06:13 +0100, twofourtysix wrote:
2 > Mostly, I was hoping that all those people who seem more than happy to
3 > advocate something with *words* would be prepared to back them up with
4 > *actions*. I think it's a shame that Gentoo is prepared to encourage
5 > people to pester their politicians whilst simultaneously refusing to
6 > spend a few minutes practising what it preaches.
7
8 Ok ... let's remove all software that might violate a european patent.
9
10 As some people stated, the kernel will go. As far as I know glibc and
11 gcc will be removed too.
12 All programs using sockets could potentially be an abuse, so no network
13 for you.
14 No progress bars.
15 Etc. etc.
16
17 I think skel.ebuild will be among the few survivors - 30.000 patents
18 don't leave much space for non-violating software, especially once you
19 realize that many of those patents are for trivial ideas (which are
20 unpatentable)
21
22 Or in other words:
23 Stop using "Free" Software since it's theft ;-)
24
25 wkr,
26 Patrick
27 --
28 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move