From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eclasses v3 released
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 11:30:43
1 Disclaimer: I do not intend to stir any fuzz with this. Please be
2 overbearing when reading it.
3
4 On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:54:49 +0200
5 Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > I understand and agree that verwilst (or anyone else) shouldn't be using
8
9 > eclasses or his day-today work and all his ebuilds. I do think he should
10 help
11 > me test them, because two testers are always much better than one. I
12 > introduced Verwilst to eclasses wih this purpose, perhaps I was wrong to
13 do
14 > so on his first day as a Gentoo developer. Since you hink I should do
15 this
16 > strictly alone, I will.
17
18 If what drobbins really mean is that Dan should be doing this job alone
19 without any help from other developers, then I strongly disagree. The
20 major point about any community project like this is teamwork. That is
21 what attracts developers. We are not attracted to a TODO-list where we can
22 pick our tasks and complete them in isolation. That is not what Gentoo
23 should be about.
26 If on the other hand, drobbins' argument is against Dan seemingly
27 recruiting any and all, or newcomers to Gentoo, then I understand it a bit
28 more. While I still think Dan should be entitled to recruit the help of
29 any of the other Gentoo developers, Dan should perhaps have handled things
30 a bit differently and required that Verwilst sent the eclass-based ebuilds
31 directly to himself instead checking it into CVS.
34 On a more practical note, I really think major changes like this chould be
35 done on CVS branches, so that we can afford doing really heavy changes
36 without fear of troubling our users.
39 Kind regards,
40
41 Karl T