From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Local workarounds with no reported bugs
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 06:11:48
1 On 10/17/2016 06:09 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > My biggest ​opinion regarding workarounds and bugs, is that we're
3 > sweeping things under the rug that should at least be documented, and
4 > perhaps fixed...or even punted upstream if its serious enough.
5 >
6 > Changing the status quo may require some adjustment though, but I
7 > suppose we could start by openly documenting a bug if we find a
8 > workaround that does not already have a bug number associated with it.
9 > I've seen several ebuilds where workarounds are applied, but the
10 > workaround also has a bug number in the comment.
11 I'd say this falls under the scope of QA, and QA should have some sort
12 of "quick reference" guide to help developers out and cover situations
13 they've come across. At the moment, the only resource I'm aware of
14 (aside from the obvious devmanual and PMS) that we have is either
15 e-mailing qa@g.o or using repoman. repoman can't (and shouldn't) cover
16 _everything_, but it's hard to take rants like this seriously when
17 little is done to communicate to devs at large to "color in the lines".
18
19 I ran into something similar when writing the wrapper script for
20 media-sound/apulse. It took 3 attempts and being told "you're doing it
21 wrong" 2-3 times before I figured out exactly how to do it. Had it been
22 documented on a wiki page or something similar, it would have saved me
23 and others a considerable amount of time.
24
25 We need solid QA docs. The devmanual and repoman are great starts, and
26 answer a bunch of questions. When/if QA comes across new situations and
27 comes up with 'blessed' solutions, we need a way to check them out
28 instead of waiting for it to hit Git and be smacked with a "this is
29 wrong" e-mail.
30
31 Just my 2¢.
32
33 ~zlg
34 --
35 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
36 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
37 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6