From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revisiting GLEP 19
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:55:47
1 On 07/21/04 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 21 July 2004 17:34, aeriksson@××××××××.fm wrote:
4 > > > Two things. First off, I'd hope to achieve a lot more than just
5 > > > adding a[S] entry to emerge -pv.
6 > >
7 > > Care to elaborate? "It's nifty for the future" is a bad argument.
8 > > Far too many times have I came across people who thinks all problems
9 > > goes away if the solution is implemented using xml (I'm NOT saying
10 > > you're one of them). Present the problems you want to fix, and we'll
11 > > discuss them.
12 >
13 > Let's deal with the XML vs plain text argument first.
14 >
15 > I'm not an XML-everywhere person, but I do believe that XML is *the*
16 > right technology when you want to add meaning to structured data -
17 > meaning that can be re-used in software tools. It's nowhere near as
18 > difficult to use as ASN.1, not as clumbsy as the plain-text markups in
19 > common-use, and if you do read the raw XML in a text editor, most
20 > people can follow what the file says.
21
22 I'm not completely opposed to XML although I see little use here, but I
23 see the big show stopper: Transition. We have a live tree as well as a
24 dozen tools (estimated) using the Changelogs, some of them aren't even
25 under our control (gentoo-portage.com and porthole are popular
26 examples). How do you plan to change the format in such an environment?
27 Without an answer to that question the whole issue is academic.
28
29 Marius
34 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
35 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.