From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
Cc: phil@×××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:35:49
1 On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 05:25, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > I think you are wrong. ;) I think it *can* be argued sensibly. For these
3 > reasons.
4 >
5 > 1. Virtually all operating systems today ships with some GUI.
6
7 ...and XFree86 4.3.x does not fit this bill?
8
9 > 2. GNU (as in Gnu Public License) seems to regard the X Windows System
10 > as a core system component.
11
12 X Windows System != XFree86
13
14 > All you *need* for a linux based operating system is linux and a static
15 > binary called /sbin/init. Clearly the "Base system" referred to in GPL
16 > extends to more than that.
17
18 Actually, you don't need init to get "Linux" at all. Following the same
19 path, you need nothing more than a kernel to have "Linux" at all. Now,
20 to have an actual working system, you generally need the kernel, an init
21 system, a few libraries (like glibc, uclib, etc) and a shell.
22
23 > Even though I argue for compatibility, I still think it is correct to
24 > not ship XFree86. Mostly because Gentoo would and the OSS world would be
25 > far better of with a more "geekish" and open development of the X11
26 > implementation.
27
28 Gentoo is not going to stop shipping XFree86, as that would be asinine.
29 Rather we are simply not adding the NEW OFFENDING versions to portage.
30 There is a dramatic difference between the two.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Developer, Gentoo Linux
35 Games Team
36