From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: killing mediawiki
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 17:44:52
1 On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 01:26:51PM +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 12:44:11 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Yes I would benefit from this change, but it is not a case of optimizing
6 > > for one. It is a case of opening up the use of the wiki to the largest
7 > > audiance possible. This is just good universal design.
8 >
9 > Unfortunately, my experience with wiki's indicates that's not really an
10 > option we have.
11 >
12 > There are lots of different formats, sure, but lots of those formats
13 > reduce to being restrictive, declarative formats, where "content" is
14 > stuffed into a range of formats predefined in the markups syntax.
15 >
16 > This ultimately ends up *restricting* the range of *visual* tools at
17 > our disposal for distinguishing details on a case-by-case basis, by
18 > forcing all details to adhere to a universally simplified scheme.
19 >
20 > While I do appreciate the difficulty presented to people with
21 > sight-impairment, I'd opt primarily for choices that help them
22 > *without* compromising the range of options we have for visual
23 > distinguishers.
24
25 That's the whole point of the discussion.
26 Have you even looked at gollum for example? it can support mw markdown.
27
28 William