From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git workflow
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:58:40
1 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > * allow inconsistency and broken states as we do now with CVS (and rely
3 > on QA to run a repoman tinderbox and reverse-fixing broken crap)
4 ...
5 > Rich Freeman:
6 >> It would make a lot more sense if we had a release-oriented strategy,
7 >> even if releases were hourly/daily/etc.
10 > If we are going that way, then we should think over the whole branching
11 > model. I have a few things in mind, but I think we are already
12 > fine-tuning stuff here that can still be fine-tuned later.
13
14 Apologies for replying to two different emails in one here, but these
15 are related for the purpose of this reply.
16
17 I'm all for proposals to improve the way Gentoo works. However, part
18 of the reason that the git migration keeps on never happening is that
19 there is this general desire out there to tie it to some kind of
20 complete transformation in how we operate.
21
22 Today, we don't have the same kind of tree-consistency you're
23 advocating. So, moving to git without achieving this kind of
24 consistency is not a regression.
25
26 Today, we don't have some kind of completely airtight
27 everything-is-gpg-signed secure code flow. So, moving to git without
28 achieving that is also not a regression.
29
30 If we want to have a discussion around whether Gentoo would be better
31 off if we were more release-based (even if those releases were
32 frequent/automated/etc), or about how to improve the security of our
33 code base, I think those would be very healthy discussions to have.
34 However, I don't think we should tie them to the git migration.
35
36 Simply moving to git while keeping just about everything else the same
37 will be a fairly disruptive change, and as we've already seen in this
38 thread there are some who just prefer cvs (though I think they're in
39 the minority by far). If we try to make several other big changes at
40 the same time I just think that it will never happen.
41
42 I suggest we just get git working in a fashion that is "good enough."
43 I think that will already bring an increased level of consistency
44 compared to our current cvs workflow, where people run repoman from
45 cvs checkouts where you can't even ensure that any two devs have quite
46 the same trees at the same time.
47
48 There is nothing that keeps us from moving from that model to one that
49 is more revolutionary at another time. However, trying to do it all
50 at once probably means that none of us get anything we're looking for,
51 because we're not going to do it with cvs and we'll never get off of
52 cvs unless simply doing that by any means necessary is the imperative.
55 Rich