From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 03:59:12
1 Mike Doty wrote:
2 > All-
3 >
4 > We're going to change the -dev mailing list from completely open to where only
5 > devs can post, but any dev could moderate a non-dev post. devs who moderate in
6 > bad posts will be subject to moderation themselves. in addition the
7 > gentoo-project list will be created to take over what -dev frequently becomes.
8 > there is no requirement to be on this new list.
9
10 I'm not keen on this idea. I like the "traditional" unmoderated mailing
11 list scheme used in open source projects everywhere, including this one
12 at present.
13
14 The Gentoo development community is much more closed than the
15 development communities of most other open source projects (for good
16 reasons), and I wouldn't like to see it close up further. Moderation
17 would be used to exclude certain discussion, but the real solution for
18 that is just to teach people to ignore the idiots. (yep, not easy in
19 some cases!)
20
21 I'm also not sure that the proposal solves any problems -- I glanced
22 over the last few weeks of mail and didn't see any that I would reject
23 from a moderation queue.
24
25 I do like the "gentoo-politics" idea that came up a few weeks ago, which
26 was to move politics off gentoo-dev and to another list, but I'd view it
27 from another perspective (and avoid the words 'politics'): make
28 gentoo-dev for development topics only, and have another list for the
29 rest. But, I suspect we'd come back to the same problem on both lists,
30 where some people are too keen to talk and deviate too far away from
31 technical discussion.
32
33 Daniel
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list