From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE split ebuilds
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:06:33
1 On Tuesday 15 March 2005 21:25, Tom Wesley wrote:
2 > Hey
3 >
4 > I've seen several queries regarding KDE's new split ebuilds and the
5 > version numbers used for specific packages. It seems that all of the
6 > KDE 3.4 packages have been versioned as 3.4.
7 >
8 > Should kmail, kopete etc not be using their own version numbers with the
9 > meta-packages being versioned based on the kde release number?
10 > IMO this would make more sense, especially when reading the kopete website,
11 > finding the latest version is 0.9.2 and then noticing that portage only
12 > has 3.4.
13 In my experience most KDE users have no idea offhand what the individual app
14 versions are and which versions belong to which kde.org release. They'd be
15 confused.
16
17 If a lot of users told me I'm wrong, I guess I'd be willing to concede this
18 point...
19
20 BTW, what do other distros use?
21
22 Another problem is that there are a few KDE devs who are the same: they don't
23 bother to put real version numbers on their apps (and especially libs), and
24 they stay stuck at 0.0.1, or don't always receive a version number upgrade
25 when they change. I can't find an example offhand now, but I remember seeing
26 such before...
27
28 And a third problem: it'd make it much easier for us to make a versioning/dep
29 mistake (think about updating 300 differently-schemed version numbers)
30 without noticing.
33 Dan Armak
34 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
35 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
36 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951