From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:53:00
1 On Friday 21 September 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 17:45 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > the compromise is simple: catalyst runs --config at the end of stage3 for
4 > > appropriate packages, but as to what those things actually do is left in
5 > > the ebuilds.
6 >
7 > I've already stated my preference for not doing *anything* outside of
8 > merging packages in the stages. Were this >stage3, I wouldn't care.
9 > Anyway, I'd much rather leave everything as it is now than add the
10 > emerge --config stuff. You're free to add it to the ebuilds, of course,
11 > which would satisfy the people that want it, but I would prefer not add
12 > it to the stages, even if it is documented in the Handbook, as it isn't
13 > required. Basically, I'd rather we either throw it into the earlier
14 > stages, or not do it at all. You've given good reason on why, while
15 > technically feasible since we're only caring about bash at this time, it
16 > is still a bad idea as it opens us up to yet another slippery slope. I
17 > completely see your point, which is why I'm taking the stance that
18 > things are best left as they are now.
19
20 defaults are never a requirement, but they provide a nice initial/sane
21 environment
22
23 we should really rename "build" to "stage1", "bootstrap" to "stage2", and then
24 have catalyst add USE="stage3" during the stage3 step ... that would allow
25 packages to automatically key off of the environment
26 -mike