From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ML changes
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:16:37
1 On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 08:34 +0200, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
2 > Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>:
3 >
4 > > We're voting on this next council meeting so if you have input, now
5 > > would be the time.
6 >
7 > Really, I don't like the idea...the list has been calm for some time
8 > now, the discussions were lengthy sometimes but not aggressive.
9
10 So because there isn't a problem *right now* you'd rather do nothing?
11
12 Isn't that the same kind of thinking that constantly gets Gentoo into
13 these sorts of problems in the first place?
14
15 Rather than pull and ostrich and put our head in the sand every time
16 something happens in Gentoo land, I would much rather see us try to
17 actually do something to prevent it/resolve it. We're volunteers.
18 Nobody expects us to be perfect, and if anyone does expect that, they
19 should prepare to be constantly disappointed. We don't have to be
20 "right" all the time. We can make mistakes. However, sitting around
21 hoping every problem we ever have resolves itself or trying to form
22 committees to discuss every single little thing for days/months/years
23 doesn't improve Gentoo in any way.
24
25 I am so waiting for my term to end on the Council so I can procmail this
26 list to /dev/null and never have to deal with this sort of crap again.
27 Sure, I'll miss some important information, but the signal to noise is
28 so high (like this email and most of the emails proceeding it) that it
29 is damn near impossible to get any decent technical discussions going
30 on.
31
32 Here's another take on this "issue" that I'm sure lots of people will
33 take offense to, but I don't care.
34
35 What if your opinion doesn't really matter?
36
37 Think about that for a minute. We're hearing tons of this "well, if
38 $blah happens, then..." argument form people. No offense meant to any
39 of you personally, but leave. If you're really that offended by this,
40 you might as well pack up now and save yourself a month of waiting. It
41 is very likely that the Council is going to enact this. It is fully
42 within the Council's rights to do so, even *without* getting anyone's
43 opinions but our own. That is kinda the *point* of the Council, to be
44 able to make decisions like this where it is *obvious* that there are
45 going to be multiple sides and likely never a consensus on what to do.
46 So rather than sit around doing nothing and letting this linger for
47 months (waiting for the next Council? Are you serious?) and months, we
48 would prefer to do something about it. If that means voting and turning
49 it down, then so be it. If it means approving it and enacting it, then
50 you have a simple course of action. Don't vote for us again (not like
51 that will be a problem) and vote for nominees that think more like you
52 do on this particular issue. Just remember, that no matter who you vote
53 for (unless you vote for yourself), there are going to be times when
54 that person's opinion differs from your own. That's just the way things
55 are in a representative government. If you really have a problem with
56 this, I suggest you move on to another distribution which governs itself
57 differently. Remember, it was Gentoo's own developers, via a global
58 vote, that enacted the current "government" structure for Gentoo. If
59 you don't like it, blame yourselves. :P
62 Chris Gianelloni
63 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
64 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
65 Games Developer/Soon to be former Council Member and glad/Foundation Trustee
66 Gentoo Foundation