From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Missing: Universal-CD - Gentoo discriminates shell and networkless users
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 12:53:00
1 On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 10:38 +0200, Simon Stelling wrote:
2 > Dominique Michel wrote:
3 > > When an user or a potential user read it and want to do a networkless install,
4 > > it will just use the Live CD install, and just get in trouble. It is even worse
5 > > when many Linux magazines will have this CD. And you cannot argue at it is just
6 > > to use catalyst or to burn a CD from a stage 3, when the doc say "a bootable CD
7 > > that contains everything you need to get Gentoo Linux up and running."
8 >
9 > That statement is still true. I have done 3 networkless installations
10 > for this release, without a problem. I used the installer. Using it you
11 > get your box up and running fast and convenient, so what exactly is the
12 > problem? It's not like you can't get Gentoo running without a network
13 > connection anymore.
14
15 The problem is that it is a change, and our users resist changes.
16
17 While I appreciate the input from our users, I have no intentions on
18 "going backwards" to what we had before. I was planning on adding more
19 content to the LiveDVD images next time around, such as more packages,
20 and likely the stage3 tarball. Whether I include any distfiles or not
21 is still up in the air, mostly due to the massive number of bugs that
22 were caused every single release due to people using the provided
23 distfiles/packages incorrectly. We simply don't have enough manpower to
24 test every single possible combination of USE and packages during the
25 release cycle and our calls for testing usually go mostly unanswered.
26 We saw a definite increase in the number of developers helping with
27 testing this past release, but we still need more.
28
29 At any rate, the next release will allow a user to *very* easily to
30 networkless installs *without* requiring them use the installer itself.
31 I will have this documented by that time, so there's no need to fret
32 over it.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
37 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
38 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
39 Gentoo Foundation