From: Allen Parker <infowolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Considering dropping the hardened toolchain (A Quantitive Approach)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 05:16:38
1 Hey Ned, solar, hardened folks...
2
3 I've got a couple of pennies to throw into this mix:
4 Even though my own participation (due to work schedules - 3 jobs
5 doesn't leave a whole lot of time for other stuff) has waned, I
6 believe that your hardened toolchain is top-notch. Yes, it's bleeding
7 edge, it's not mature, etc... that doesn't mean we should have a
8 partial-birth abortion. Hardened has been around for a while, yes, but
9 if you spend 10 minutes in #gentoo you'll see, a LOT of our users
10 aren't prepared for something as in-depth as hardened.
11
12 Gentoo currently LEADS linux distributions in configurability in
13 regards to hardened/selinux/security. Bar NONE! For the experienced,
14 hardened *can't* be replaced by anything out there. If I had the skill
15 level to assist in any way, I'd be the first guy in line to help.
16 Unfortunately, my experience is more limited to finding
17 non-programming solutions to get the job, whatever that job may be,
18 done. Perhaps this thread will catch someone's eye, someone that CAN
19 help, at least drum up some user support.
20
21 Solar, before reading your email, I had no idea that you were feeling
22 like that. Maybe we can get someone with a *little* more experience
23 than me, perhaps a trusted user/non-dev that can be a bug-filter?
24
25 To the hardened community: If you can afford the time, check
26 bugs.gentoo.org for hardened bugs... if there are bugs that you know
27 of that are FUD, email a list of bug #'s to your favorite hardened
28 dev, after replying with a solution to the particular user, whether or
29 not it's a PEBKAC issue or not.
30
31 that's all for me, gotta head back to work *sigh*
32
33 Allen Parker
34 infowolfe@××××××××××××.net (when i'm online) #/tmp #gentoo-hardened #gentoo-dev.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list