From: Vano D <gentoo-dev@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Embedded
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:24:14
1 On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 10:10, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > You could bind mount the portage tree into the root system (of course
3 > updates will be out of the question). After you're done unmerge portage
4 > and it works.
5
6 [Still not used to the reply-to. Now off to the list. Paul already has a
7 copy of my email before anyone else (lucky you ;)]
8
9 This is very interesting. Such a simple idea. Anyhow I have also been
10 looking at ways to get rid of portage/gcc/dev tools out of Gentoo. But
11 my goal has been to clean the system of dev tools and thus portage
12 (since it would be useless without dev tools) so as to create server
13 installations. (Although I also have had a side interest in getting a
14 knoppix-like system built solely out of gentoo.)
15
16 I wonder if it would be possible to somehow remotely "mount" the rest of
17 the stuff such as gcc/python etc.. as with portage. So this way the
18 system would be completely clean and when it needs to be updated a
19 script would mount/link the tools from a remote system and after its
20 done upgrading it would unlink and we are left with a lean clean system.
21
22 Any thoughts on this?
23
24 PD. I already have attempted at removing gcc and whatnot from Gentoo but
25 have ended up with a nonbootable system. I would really appreciate if
26 anyone who has had success in doing this would shed some light and give
27 some tips.
28
29 Cheers,
30