From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:13:22
1 >>>>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2012, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 > I've created licenses/HPND [1] now, and added it to the @OSI-APPROVED
4 > group. So packages whose license matches this template can be changed
5 > from as-is to HPND. (And please, _only_ OSD-compliant packages.
6 > We don't want the same mess again, as we have with as-is.)
7
8 > [1] <http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/HPND>
9
10 Coming back to this. We've continued discussion in the licenses team,
11 and the conclusion was that as-is should be deprecated. Therefore,
12 a repoman warning for deprecated licenses has been added (and will
13 become active with one of the next Portage releases), along with a
14 new @DEPRECATED license group. See Bug 440638 for details.
15
16 So please don't use as-is for new packages, and consider moving
17 existing packages away from it.
18
19 We're down from 679 packages (in September) to 600 today. Especially,
20 there should be no more as-is in the system set and on our release
21 media.
22
23 Ulrich