From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 22:22:34
1 On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:17 PM Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > With the declared aim from upstream of making udev inseparable from
4 > systemd, its not something to be done lightly.
5 > That's the entire reason that eudev was necessary.
6 >
7 > I would want some convincing that it was not another step on the road
8 > to Gentoo being assimilated by systemd.
9
10 So, I really could care less what the default is since it won't impact
11 any of my Gentoo hosts either way, but this seems like a silly reason
12 to base the decision on. IMO it was paranoid years ago when people
13 first brought it up. Now it is even moreso considering that years
14 have elapsed without any grand systemd conspiracy being revealed. If
15 their goal was to make it impossible to use udev on its own just to
16 mess with the 0.01% of Linux users who don't use systemd but do use
17 (e)udev, I'd think they'd have gotten around to it by now, or at least
18 they would still be talking about it.
19
20 William - can you actually elaborate on WHY you want to change things?
21 Is there some problem with eudev? Is it actively maintained and
22 generally tracking upstream udev commits (minus whatever they
23 intentionally don't want to accept)?
24
25 I'd be curious as to a list of the practical differences between the
26 two at this point. For the longest time the only ones I was aware of
27 were the de-bundled build system, and the change in the default
28 persistent ethernet device name rule which was made in udev but not
29 made (by default) in eudev. Perhaps at this point there are other
30 differences.
33 Rich