From: Alan <alan@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Spam filters
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:17:10
1 On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 08:03:50AM -0700, Burton Samograd wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 02:28:08PM +0200, Henrik Treadup wrote:
3 > > Spam is (I assume) a problem not only for the gentoo-dev mailing list but
4 > > also for all other gentoo lists. Closing gentoo-dev doesn't solve the
5 > > problem. The other lists will still get spam.
6 > > Should the other lists also be closed? (Closing gentoo-newbies is probably
7 > > a bad idea.) The solution IMHO is a filter on the gentoo mailserver.
10 > How is making the list subscriber only closing it? I'm on about 20
11 > other mailing lists, all subscribe only and I get no spam on them.
12 > This problem has been solved long ago...there is no need to waste
13 > server processor cycles for spam filtering on lists. If people are
14 > scared that there newbies 'won't be able to figure out' hot to
15 > subscribe, I'm on some music development lists where the people on
16 > there barely even know how to use the computer for anything else other
17 > than email and can still figure it out.
18 >
19 > I'm pretty sure that anybody that uses email can figure out how to
20 > read a page, send an email and a send a reply when they get it.
21
22 I have to agree with this. Someone mentioned the reason was
23 accessability to new users, but I'm in the same situation as Burton, on
24 a bunch of lists, all subscriber only, except for gimp-dev (which gets
25 spam as well, or did when I was still receiving mail to it). My feeling
26 is that if a new users isn't smart enough to go to a web page and fill
27 in an email, then respond to a message, will the be able to post to the
28 list, and then find the list archives to search for any answers? Of
29 course they could just asked to be cc'd on replies, but that is bad
30 netiquette, and we don't want to encourage that :)
31
32 The other thing is that the only gentoo list I'm getting spam from is
33 gentoo-dev, so obviously someone got it on a spam list somewhere, and
34 why not close down the list with the problem (and the list less likely
35 to get newbies on it IMHO).
36
37 Totally OT, I installed bogofilter this morning thanks to the
38 suggestions on the list, and it seems to be working fine so far. Only
39 one piece of spam caught, but it's one for one so far :) Kinda wierd
40 when you actually *want* spam (if only to catch it!)
41
42 Regards,
43
44 Alan
48 Alan "Arcterex" <alan@×××××.org> -=][=- http://arcterex.net
49 "I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I
50 think I preferred the cows. They were better conversation, easier to milk, and
51 if they annoyed me enough, I could shoot them and eat them." -Rodger Donaldson