From: Burton Samograd <kruhft@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Spam filters
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:03:52
1 On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 02:28:08PM +0200, Henrik Treadup wrote:
2 > Spam is (I assume) a problem not only for the gentoo-dev mailing list but
3 > also for all other gentoo lists. Closing gentoo-dev doesn't solve the
4 > problem. The other lists will still get spam.
5 > Should the other lists also be closed? (Closing gentoo-newbies is probably
6 > a bad idea.) The solution IMHO is a filter on the gentoo mailserver.
9 How is making the list subscriber only closing it? I'm on about 20
10 other mailing lists, all subscribe only and I get no spam on them.
11 This problem has been solved long ago...there is no need to waste
12 server processor cycles for spam filtering on lists. If people are
13 scared that there newbies 'won't be able to figure out' hot to
14 subscribe, I'm on some music development lists where the people on
15 there barely even know how to use the computer for anything else other
16 than email and can still figure it out.
17
18 I'm pretty sure that anybody that uses email can figure out how to
19 read a page, send an email and a send a reply when they get it.
20
21 burton