From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: tests
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 21:22:25
1 Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > There was some discussion about forcing/not forcing tests in EAPI-1, but there
5 > was clearly no compromise. Imho, tests are very important and thus I want to
6 > discuss them a little more, but in more sensible fashion.
7 >
8 > Firstly each test can be(not all categories are mutually exclusive):
9 > - not existant
10 > - non-functional
11 > - not runnable from ebuild
12 > - useful but unreasonable resource-wise
13 > - useful and reasonable resource-wise
14 > - necessary
15 > - known to partially fail but with a way of skipping failing tests
16 > - known to partially fail but with no easy way of skipping failing tests
17 > Is that list comprehensive?
18
19 I've been running with FEATURES=test for a long time now. Here's some
20 of the more interesting cases:
21
22 - fail only on little/big-endian archs
23 - fail only with/without root privs
24 - fail only if dependencies are / are not compiled with certain optional
25 support
26 - fail only with GCC >=4
27 - are expected to fail and are only meant as a regression test
28 - take 3 minutes on x86 and 3 hours on mips
29 - fail on hardened
30 - fail with/without new tar versions
31 - fail with/without new flex versions (etc.)
32 - fail if a kernel component is a module instead of built-in
33 - fail if certain environment variables are set
34 - fail if compiled with certain (safe) CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS
35
36 Can we qualify each of these into one of your categories? (NB: I
37 realize there are solutions for each of these examples. I'm pointing
38 out that not only is the situation not black and white, it often ranges
39 in the ultra-violet.)
40
41 > Secondly we must answer the question how precisely we want to distinguish
42 > them, so users/dev can choose which categories of tests they want to run.
43 > What comes to mind is:
44 > - run all tests
45 > - run only necessary tests
46 > - run only reasonable tests
47 > - don't run tests at all
48 > Again, is that list comprehensive?
49
50 - run only tests that don't require extra deps
51 - run only tests that work on hardened
52 - run only tests that work on my arch
53
54 > Please don't post solutions unless we figure out which options we really want
55 > to deliver.
56
57 Sorry. (neener neener) ;) Would people accept running src_test() by
58 default only on packages in the system set? There are some that we
59 might want to turn off - glibc, gcc, binutils, autoconf, and automake
60 are on my current short list. coreutils is also a lot of fun. db takes
61 six hours.
62
63 Anyone, however, who is of the opinion that tests for their packages are
64 so important that they should never be skipped, and who is willing to
65 deal with the bug reports that will undeniably be generated as a result,
66 should IMO be allowed to shoot themselves in the foot, while those
67 uninterested can go about their business without further interruption.
68
69 In no way should this be tied to EAPI.
73 where to now? if i had to guess
74 dirtyepic gentoo org i'm afraid to say antarctica's next
75 9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3 5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8)
78 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list