From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google Summer of Code 2007
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:15:41
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > ffmpeg got just vc-1 working as should, all the other code got somewhat
3 > halfway, mostly because we expected a lot. (amr and ac3 seems to have
4 > something alive, aac isn't something that good)
5 >
6 > The Gentoo results aren't that bad on the average, we got something,
7 > sadly not yet finalized properly.
8 >
9 > That said I think the experience was good and we should try to get into
10 > this other round with the experience of the past summer =)
11
12 To complement the both of you, how about proposing projects to 2
13 students at the same time and have them work as a team?
14
15 Pros :
16 - mutual motivation
17 - faster progress (if one finds documentation/bugs/whatever, the other
18 can know about it faster)
19 - continuous progress (if one "slacks off", the project can still go on)
20
21 Cons :
22 - risk of having one student slack off completely
23 - mentors have to manage 2 students (I don't see it much as a hindrance
24 but for the sake of completeness, I'll add it anyway)
25
26 Anyway for some projects it might be nice. For example in the ffmpeg SoC
27 project, one student could be a die hard coder, the other one more of a
28 QA guy trying to find problems with the first one's code. (and maybe
29 switch roles whenever they feel like it)
30
31 Just a thought :)
32
33 Rémi