From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE conditionals in news items (GLEP 42)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:25:30
1 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn posted on Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:48:53 +0200 as
2 excerpted:
3
4 > for the planned media-libs/mesa-7.11 stabilization, the default radeon
5 > r600 driver changes from classic to gallium. Users who upgrade from
6 > mesa-7.10 will not be switched automatically. I promised in
7 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_225e87fe47a62b0591fb46ba4054798f.xml
8 > to make a news item when that happens.
9
10 Be aware that such a decision may result in an increase in bug reports or since
11 it affects new users primarily, possibly people giving up on Gentoo before
12 they understand how to eselect back to classic. I've not tried it yet in the
13 kernel-3.x era, but every few months I try gallium here, on my radeon hd4650
14 (rv730) AGP, and it has never worked. I get a severe lockup (magic-srq fails,
15 only the BRB works) every single time, as I approach the desktop (KDE, now
16 4.7.0).
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman