From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:37:28
1 051130 Andrew Muraco wrote:
2 > I think the masses of users will not be happy when they realize
3 > that 'emerge -e world && emerge -e world' ...
4
5 Should that be 'emerge -e system && emerge -e world' ?
6
7 > ... means that they will be compiling for the next day or 2 or 3 ,
8
9 </spectate>
10
11 As one of the "masses", I am certainly disturbed at that implication.
12 I don't remember any such need when I upgraded 2.9.5 -> 3.x (now 3.3.6).
13 This is the kind of issue on which I trust the devs to do sensible things,
14 but do we really need to rebuild our whole systems from the ground up ?
15
16 Ordinarily, I upgrade packages individually when it seems appropriate
17 & never do 'emerge world' with or without '-e' or other flags;
18 I do 'esync' every weekend & look at what is marked as having changed.
19
20 I would very much appreciate a doc somewhere
21 which explains the advantages of moving to 3.4
22 & why a wholesale ground-up rebuild is necessary, if indeed it is.
23 As always, my thanks to those who do the volunteer work.
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list